I guess you can do something like:

funcToCall(event){
    var o = Event.element(event); //and that's the object who was been
mouseovered X)
}

Here is a similar question did it time ago in this list.... best
practice...
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2794885/javascript-prototype-best-practice-event-handlers

in the new prototype 1.7 RC are a better way to doing this.

best
Nahum