this is always really tricky -- i used flash for a multi-file uploader
i built, and subsequently, discovered they have a similar feature for
forcing a browser download. otherwise, it's a lot of tinkering with
with your content headers and mime types. i'm almost sure that you
can't initiate through pure xmlhttprequest without the use of activex
or something similarly lame.