IE doesn't understand position:fixed. thats where i would start looking.

if (Prototype.BrowserIE){
    cover.setStyle('position:absolute');
//do something here to make cover the same height as the entire page
}

walter

On Sep 17, 2010, at 6:40 PM, Jane Hunter wrote:

Walter,
Again my thanks. It works very well -- in all browsers but IE!! In this instance, it doesn't matter, since IE wasn't having the positioning issues that the other browsers were. But I'm going to do some debugging and see what's going on there. If anything of interest, I'll write again.
Jane

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Walter Lee Davis <wa...@wdstudio.com> wrote: Off the top of my head, I would say observe clicks on a temporary element placed over the top of the page and cause them to die, rather than trying to disable clicks where you are. By the time your clicks bubble from the element they were made on up to the outer shell, it's already too late -- the click has fired on that element, then bubbled up to the shell.

if(!$('cover')){
       var cover = new Element('div',{id:'cover'});
cover.setStyle('position:fixed; width:100%;height:100%;z- index:1000;top:0;left:0');
       $$('body').first().insert({top:cover});
       cover.observe('click',function(evt){evt.stop();});
}

later, when everything is ready

$('cover').stopObserving().remove();

Something like that.