The problem I was trying to resolve was taking HTML I did not write or have any control over, and fixing up any URIs to the images so that they were fully-formed, such that the resulting HTML code could be embedded in a social networking site and still function. Code was being added in either page-relative or root-relative form, but not ever in absolute canonical URIs.

What I ended up doing was asking the browser to do it:

$('generate').observe('click',function(evt){
 evt.stop();
        $('ExportMe').select('img').each(function(img){
                img.setAttribute('src',img.src);
        });
 var text = $('ExportMe').innerHTML.stripScripts();
 $('TextBox').setValue('<div id="EmbedMe">' + text + '</div>');
 $('TextBox').select();
});

This seems to do the trick for me, because at the moment I ask the browser for the src, it has already combined it with the base and figured out an absolute URI. When I use writeAttribute to write it back into the DOM, that puts the absolute URI into the page, and then the innerHTML is up to date with what the browser has already figured out.

Walter