The function you pass to each has a second optional index param:

$$('.foo').each(function(elem, index) {
  elem.update('I am element ' + index);
});

It's not all that clear in the docs but it's mentioned for the
iterator param here:
http://api.prototypejs.org/language/Enumerable/prototype/each/

Is that wat you were looking for?

-- Marc