On 11 March 2011 01:17, joe t. <thooke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One note on TJ's post, hopefully helpful:
>
> You cannot CANCEL the unload event. If i understand them correctly,
> load and unload are the only native events that can't be canceled from
> scripts. You can perform other actions, but unload means the browser
> has been committed to unloading that page, regardless what else it's
> told to do at that point. The point of no return to let the user
> cancel the unload is "beforeunload" (handy, and a Microsoft creation,
> ironically).
>
> And to his point, he's correct: about the only other actions you can
> take are cleanup/garbage collection. Not that it would matter anyway
> if you create new content, the page is going bye-bye. :)
>
> That all comes from a painful two weeks a few years ago before i knew
> about beforeunload. Still bitter at myself over that.
> -joe t.
>

> On Mar 10, 9:31 am, Walter Lee Davis <wa...@wdstudio.com> wrote:
>> On Mar 10, 2011, at 2:25 AM, T.J. Crowder wrote:
>>
>> > What you can do in those functions is severely limited by modern
>> > browsers (for all the good reasons you can think of). You can't open
>> > new windows, do alerts/confirms
>>
>> Thanks. This is the part I was remembering -- someone wanted an Are
>> You Sure to interrupt closing the window on a running process, and I
>> mistook the answer to mean that onunload couldn't do much of anything,
>> versus 'couldn't do much of anything to the current window'. That
>> makes perfect sense now.
>>
>> Walter

Sort of related, is there a way to see ALL the events being fired by
the DOM? I used to use Borland tools on Windows and one of the tools
was a message inspector. You could target an app and watch the
messages being passed around - there were a LOT - Windows is really
chatty.

Is there a global event dispatcher that can be hooked into?

If so, how useful would this be in diagnosing issues and seeing what
events the browsers support and how the events are called?

--
Richard Quadling
Twitter : EE : Zend