Good thoughts and suggestions - thanks

I'll see if I can make a 'case' for the extra coding overhead.

   1. a gazillion connections if I have to send html in little pieces all
   the time - i am very very concerned about overloading the servers (total
   80cores - 160gigs of ram - ~500gigSSD - not shared 100meg connection -
   internal network between the nodes is gigabit) --- with the json method -
   we do the initial DB dump - then each selection is sent to the servers
   2. when the session starts I put the entire menu db (max 2100 items -
   average is only about 150 items) as a var in the page
   3. i use that data to draw the menus and the submenus(submenus are
   dynamically shown as a client selects them)
   4. once an item is selected it's displayed in the list of selected items
   -- i also tee that process and send a json packet to the server
   5. we are only supporting ipads

Make sense? -- if not let me know ..