I can't seem to figure out how to enable free membership to the community.
 It doesn't seem to be any option to change it.

Walter, the most obvious way you get notifications from a G+ stream is on
the black Google toolbar that appears on any Google site (when you are
logged in).  You can login to your account and change how you are notified
as well, such as by email, maybe txt (not sure), etc.

Karl..