On Sep 08, 2010, Unihost wrote:

>  Hi All,

Hello,

> Just installed 2.1.7 onto a server and have found myself in perl
> dependency hell.
>
> First I tried to start 2.1.7 and got:
>
> Starting psad: /usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup error:
> /usr/lib/psad/0/auto/Date/Calc/Calc.so: undefined symbol:
> Perl_Istack_sp_ptr
>
> OK, I figured a quick n dirty fix, I moved the offending lib out of
> the way and copied one from my own perl across. Which gave rise to
> this:
>
> Starting psad: /usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup error:
> /usr/lib/psad/0/auto/Unix/Syslog/Syslog.so: undefined symbol:
> Perl_Istack_sp_ptr
>
> No problem, let's try the quick n dirty again, backup the old and
> copy a new one......
>
> Now I get:
>
> Starting psad: Unix::Syslog object version 1.1 does not match
> bootstrap parameter 0.100 at
> /usr/lib64/perl5/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line
> 253.
> Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/psad line 2670.
>
> If anyone can help me resolve this it'd be hugely helpful, never
> experienced any dependency issues with this software before.

Are you installing psad via an RPM?  If so, then I suspect that all of the
issues relate to differences between the system I used to build the RPM's
vs. your system.  A easy solution is to build a psad RPM on your system
with the "cd_rpmbuilder" script:

http://www.cipherdyne.org/scripts/cd_rpmbuilder.tar.gz

Basically you just need to execute the following and it will take care
of the rest:

# ./cd_rpmbuilder -p psad

Here is an example of the script in action:

http://www.cipherdyne.org/blog/2006/12/automated-rpm-builder.html

Thanks,

--Mike