Thank you for asking these questions.

The motivation was to further simplify the interface, whilst maintaining
sensor generic-ness.
And then the plan, barring course changing discussions, would be to build a
sensor specific layer on top of that.

My main reason for threads is so read requests can be continually submitted,
and the process to be transparent.
In using libusb with isochronous transfers, in conjunction with the scenario
written below,  I have to submit many read requests in order to keep up with
the data coming from the device. So, this code abstracts that away.

I can't justify why there is a writer thread..

The scenario:
Testing has been with device side code that continually increments a value
and sends it.
the incremented value is 4 bytes, and is within a 128 byte isoc packet(up to
1023 bytes). The idea that there are "isoc packets" and "sensor packets",
where the former can be much larger than the latter creates an idiom where
each isoc packet is a batch in an of itself. By leveraging that, my
justification for reader threads could be moot depending on sensor packet
sizes and sampling rates.

Finally:
Let's say, which is more or less true, that we have no isoc infrastructure,
other than a few light hearted examples in the repo.
I'd like to hear some ideas on how to go about building the infrastructure
to accomplish end to end communication.
I'd like to continue moving this effort forward in a way that fosters
round-table discussions and motivated by general consensus.
I expect replies...or else... i'll continue in my wayward direction.

P.S.:
Realistically, the effort I have put in may have yielded no result other
than an increased understanding by me.
I consider that a big win.

Cheers,
Daniel