Van: ptaccess@googlegroups.com [mailto:ptacc...@googlegroups.com] Namens
Frank Carmickle
Verzonden: vrijdag 30 juli 2010 18:13
Aan: ptaccess@googlegroups.com
Onderwerp: Re: New Macs out. Any thoughts?

Hey Ron

On Jul 30, 2010, at 11:46 AM, RvR wrote:

Hi Frank,
Well, the 5k model is way above my budget. Don't think I will need the
processing power anyway. The expandebility I like very much of the Pro's.
When I go for a Pro it will probably be the basic model with the single Xeon
cpu at 2.8GHz, 3gb ram and 1 tb hd. But I am wondering why there are only
Xeon cpus in the Mac Pro"s, since they are server/workstation units is it
not? I read somewhere the power of the Xeons will only be unleashed when
pairing them by the two. The reason why I ask this is how the speed and
power of the single Xeon model compare to the i7 in the iMac.

Well you don't usually find to many benchmarks between these two types of
processors.  My initial thought is that the i7 might give you a little bit
more performance on some benchmarks.  Overall I think they'd perform
similarly on real world work loads with a little better performance per watt
from the xeon.

That is my other option you know.
Another thing. Can you buy any sata harddisk out there and put it in the Mac
Pro? No need for special ones? And later a faster cpu is also doable I
guess?

Yes and yes.  If your looking to use the pro as a recording rig then you
will want a least one extra drive and 6 gb of memory.  I would recommend a
solid state system disk.  I'd say 32gb would be a little tight but a 64gb
would do alright.

Take care
--FC