From: ptaccess@googlegroups.com [mailto:ptaccess@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Elexis Gillette
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 7:45 PM
To: ptaccess@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Final Questions of Pro Tools before I Purchase

Thanks for this bit of information.  The MCU Pro seems to be a suitable
choice for the price.

My thinking is that purchasing the control surface will make some processes
a bit easier as I can use the buttons and motorized fingers to adjust
different parameters.  I guess it's more of a "preference" as I'm sure you
can perform these same actions by using the short-cut key strokes of
VoiceOver.

Lex
On Feb 7, 2011, at 1:11 PM, Bryan Smart wrote:

> This is pretty much how it works. Control surfaces aren't popular with
most low-end/home users of recording software. Blind people are a special
case because a control surface has special value for them. For most sighted
people, though, they're on tight budgets, so would rather buy two huge
screens rather than a control surface. Many enthusiasts now use their iPad
as a control surface, of a sort. If they aren't on a budget, then they don't
bother with a little 8 channel surface.

> It appears that Avid is pretty much content with cashing out the M-Audio
brand, and letting it be used to push bargain basement plastic toys at
Guitar Center. That's my conclusion for why nearly all pro/prosumer gear
from M-Audio has been canceled, and they have a fleet of $200 controllers
and low-end interfaces.

> Besides any of the above, the economy is terrible now, and the recording
industry is rapidly fading in to the bedroom studio. Truly pro customers are
a dramatically shrinking market, while the casual users with small budgets
are on the rise. Even so, music gear is not a necessity, and so many people
have significantly cut back on their gear purchases. The result is that many
companies are shrinking their product lines, and, in many cases, dropping
their mid-range products altogether.

> Sorry to be gloom and doom, but that's how it is now. Lots of companies
are really just trying to make it through the next year or two without going
out of business. Control surfaces are not a hotly selling item, and so don't
look to see many of them in the near future.

> The MCU is still available. I suggest it for your situation. You can
expand it with XT and C4 units. I don't know when, but I worry that it won't
be too long before Mackie discontinues it, also.

> Bryan
>
> On Feb 5, 2011, at 12:06 PM, Cameron wrote:
>
>> Hi.  Yes, that's correct.  I've seen some b stock units from various
dealers
>> on e bay for the project mix.  Also, sweetwater still has some in stock.
>> There are also a ton of FW1884 units out there, in various states of well
>> being, if you want to take the second hand gear plunge.
>>
>> On the topic of the 003, do you know if avid have any plans to make that
>> MCU compatible surface?  I know they have made the new m box drivers
>> universally compatible, it'd be nice if they did that with the 003 but I
>> have come across nothing discussing that at all yet.  Being that they
have
>> done away with the project mix, and due to the fact that avid owns m
audio
>> now, could that be their game plan to corner the market for an all in one
>> unit in that price range?  I mean now there is really nothing left to
fill
>> that gap.
>>
>> I mean that new 16 channel ssl control surface/interface combo looks nice
>> but it's got two mic preamps and is freaking USB.  For five thousand
>> dollars, I'm not exactly sure what their intended market is...  Their 24
>> channel interface/control surface looks like a serious bit of kit but
will
>> set you back a whopping seventy nine thousand dollars.
>>
>> Cameron.

Behalf
>> Of Bryan Smart
>> Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2011 7:56 AM
>> To: ptaccess@googlegroups.com
>> Subject: RE: Final Questions of Pro Tools before I Purchase
>>
>> The ProjectMix has been discontinued for a few months now. Since the
FW1884