Hi Ronald,

It sounds more complicated than it really is. Let's distinguish between two
things that are very clearly separated in the analog world but are often
confused in the digital world. One is a track and the other is a channel. In a
DAW, the two are often used interchangeably. The Mix window shows tracks, yes,
but think of them as channels on a mixing console. Each one of those channels
is feeding and receiving information from a track as if it were a tape machine.
The Edit window is sort of like a tape machine. Each track is like a track on a
multitrack tape recorder.

Each playlist is just a separate path on that tape, a separate track. the
difference in the digital world is that, rather than just having one path for
each track, there are any number of virtual paths underneath the topmost
playlist.

By selecting a range, using the Start and End parameters, it's possible to
record only within the specified ranges. Further, one can put the transport
into Loop Record mode where multiple passes can be recorded within the same
range. That's a little more complex and I won't get into that here.

Anyway, when you read anything about ranges, it's referring to Start and end
times. Whenever you read something about selecting something in a playlist, it
simply means selecting something in the visible track or the topmost playlist
in this case.

Hopefully, that makes some sense.

Best,

Slau