David,

Control-n toggles the insertion following playback or not. Simple.

Further, if you have an in point, why not split the region? Command-e will
split the region where the insertion is. Then you can get to anywhere in the
timeline by pressing asterisk on the num pad, entering the value and pressing
enter. When you get to where you want to make the out point, pause the
transport, press Option-Tab while holding down the Shift key to select to the
previous region boundary (which would be the place where you split the region
and that's it. If you need to select across multiple regions, just press those
commands multiple times and you should be good.

Slau