Chad,

Another way you can achieve this effect without getting into automation is to
duplicate your vocal track and only have that track contain the words you wish
to send to the delay. You can cut those from the original track and copy them
into the second track. This technique seems more involved but if you want to
avoid the whole automation thing, you can certainly take this approach as an
alternative.

Slau