Hi Joy,

On occasion, when working with MIDI or Instrument tracks, the focus gets lost a
bit and it might be necessary to close and reopen the session or, if that
doesn't do it, quit and relaunch Pro Tools. Most of the time, however, as long
as the track and an edit range are selected, things work smoothly. Sometimes I
also find it helpful to have an audio track showing for the purpose of moving
the insertion point to it and then back to the instrument track and that
sometimes is all it takes to restore the focus.
HTH,
Slau