On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 11:27:55PM +0100, Marc Kleine-Budde wrote:
> luckily, I haven't pushed that commit not yet. :) However it's probably
> interesting for olther kernels than the latest -rc :)

It is not the case. My man page dated 21 Sep 1999 says:
  sysctl  is  used to modify kernel parameters at runtime.  The parameters
  available are those listed under /proc/sys/.  Procfs is required for sysctl
  support in Linux.  You can use sysctl to both read and write sysctl data.

Honestly, I've never got the point of this program.

> Carsten can you please add a notice to PTXCONF_PROCPS_SYSCTL's helptext
> stating that this is a deprecated interface.

I'd commit this patch only after someone would find anything available only
via sysctl and meanwhile add notice advicing people to use /proc/sys.

        ladis