Hi Martin,

On 24.02.12 19:51, Martin Breidung wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> hmm… sounds interesting. I did not know that it can be used under OS X.
>
> But i have to install a lot of other stuff under Lion first, right?

> Where can i get the necessary informations on setting up Lion for PDXdist? I
> would try it under Lion in a VM to protect my running system.

sorry, there is no documentation yet. I will sum it up if I have some
time and provide it to ptxdist.

Here are some step by step instructions (written down from memory ...
may lack some important steps).

You will first require the X-Code application from 'App Store'. It comes
with OS X headers, llvm-gcc, binutils for your mac a.s.o.

Next you will need some GNU tools like coreutils [1], gawk [2], sed [3],
tar [4], flex [5] and bison/yacc [6]. Remaining requirements of ptxdist
should be sufficient by OS X delivered software.

That sounds hard, but you do not need to install that tools by hand. You
may know either fink [7] or macports [8], just install your favorite
distribution and use it to install mentioned tools.
I can tell you that I use fink and one of my colleagues uses macports.
So questions targeted ptxdist regarding one of these distributions may
get an answer on this list. Beside that both distributions are actively
developed, you will get support from their mailing lists regarding
installing the distribution a.s.o.

If you got the required tools you can start using ptxdist source to
build it for your host. There comes another requirement to mind while
writing this. You will need ncurses[9] for building the kconf tools in
ptxdist. Ptxdists configure will search the required tools and complain
about missing ones.

Next get OSELAS.Toolchain source, extract, select target, ptxdist
migrate and go to build your favorite toolchain. As mentioned before I
tested arm-v4t, arm-v5te and arm-cortexa8 (all linux-gnueabi) toolchains
here.

Another important step is to build a rootfs. Here are some more
stumbling blocks, cause some target tools will require specific host
tools which are not yet tested on OS X.
Bernhard Walle started a generic arm bsp [10] (targeted on beagle-board
and clones). He uses ptxdist with OS X too, therefore this is a good
place to go for OS X adoptions of ptxdist bsp.
Beside that get git [11], read this list and react on patches regarding
OS X.

best regards

Andreas Bießmann

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/