Hi Michael,

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 05:12:14PM +0100, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
> (IJG's)

> > > standard
> switched
> able

> as
> libjpeg-turbo

> > > imagine

> of
> would
> > > not
> libjpeg-turbo.
> > > Also
> libjpeg-turbo) can
> > >
> > > No.

> the
> what
> > > is
> > > versions
> > >
> > > Either this ...

> > > ... or change the libjpeg rule to always build libjpeg-turbo instead.
> > >
> > > I would prefer to avoid an option. But I'm not sure
> > > 1. if there are use-cases where libjpeg is preferable
> > > 2. if there are packages that fail to build with libjpeg-turbo
> > >

> > Judging from the wide adoption of libjpeg-turbo by many popular Linux
> > distros, I'd say that if we had to choose one, libjpeg-turbo may actually
> > be the "safe" choice.
> >

> > > I have some libjpeg-turbo stuff lying around here somewhere. It was
> just
> > > never finished. I've just dumped it in my test BSP so see if anythings
> > > fails to build. I'll report the result later.
> > >

> > Let me know if you need help; I am also working on this now (since I do
> > have an app that explicitly needs libjpeg-turbo and doesn't work with the
> > stock libjpeg)
>
> My test build looks good. No failed packages. So I pushed what I have to
> master. Please test it and compare it with what you have so far.

No build issues here and I can confirm that both gst-plugins-good1 (with
the jpeg plugin) and imagemagick both work fine with libjpeg-turbo on my
target platform.

Some comments:

- According to the documentation (
https://github.com/libjpeg-turbo/libjpeg-turbo/blob/master/BUILDING.md), NASM
or YASM are required if building x86 or x86-64 SIMD extensions. I have not
verified this ,yself (I'm building for an ARM target) but since we are
enabling SIMD, shouldn't the .in file select HOST_NASM? (ideally for
ARCH_X86 only but it seems that this can't be checked in the .in file?)

- For ARM targets, --with-simd requires NEON support. Perhaps the .make
file should do something like this:

# For ARM, enable SIMD extensions only if NEON is available
ifdef PTXCONF_ARCH_ARM_NEON
LIBJPEG_CONF_OPT += --with-simd
endif
# For architectures other than ARM, enable SIMD extensions unconditionally
ifndef PTXCONF_ARCH_ARM
LIBJPEG_CONF_OPT += --with-simd
endif

Best regards,