guille.rodrig...@gmail.com>:

> Hi Michael,

>> (IJG's)

>> switched
>> able

>> as
>> libjpeg-turbo

>> (instead of
>> would
>> libjpeg-turbo.
>> libjpeg-turbo) can

>> the
>> what

>> > Judging from the wide adoption of libjpeg-turbo by many popular Linux
>> > distros, I'd say that if we had to choose one, libjpeg-turbo may
>> actually
>> > be the "safe" choice.

>> just
>> > >

>> > Let me know if you need help; I am also working on this now (since I do
>> > have an app that explicitly needs libjpeg-turbo and doesn't work with
>> the
>> > stock libjpeg)
>>
>> My test build looks good. No failed packages. So I pushed what I have to
>> master. Please test it and compare it with what you have so far.
>>

> No build issues here and I can confirm that both gst-plugins-good1 (with
> the jpeg plugin) and imagemagick both work fine with libjpeg-turbo on my
> target platform.
>
> Some comments:
>
> - According to the documentation (https://github.com/libjpeg-
> turbo/libjpeg-turbo/blob/master/BUILDING.md), NASM or YASM are required
> if building x86 or x86-64 SIMD extensions. I have not verified this ,yself
> (I'm building for an ARM target) but since we are enabling SIMD, shouldn't
> the .in file select HOST_NASM? (ideally for ARCH_X86 only but it seems that
> this can't be checked in the .in file?)
>
> - For ARM targets, --with-simd requires NEON support. Perhaps the .make
> file should do something like this:
>
> # For ARM, enable SIMD extensions only if NEON is available
> ifdef PTXCONF_ARCH_ARM_NEON
> LIBJPEG_CONF_OPT += --with-simd
> endif
> # For architectures other than ARM, enable SIMD extensions unconditionally
> ifndef PTXCONF_ARCH_ARM
> LIBJPEG_CONF_OPT += --with-simd
> endif

BTW one more comment:

If --with-jpeg8 is specified, --with-jpeg7 has no effect. See configure.ac:

  if test "x${with_jpeg8}" = "xyes"; then
    JPEG_LIB_VERSION=80
  else
    if test "x${with_jpeg7}" = "xyes"; then
      JPEG_LIB_VERSION=70
    else
      JPEG_LIB_VERSION=62
    fi
  fi

So you may want to remove --with-jpeg7 from the .make file.

Best,

Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
guille.rodrig...@gmail.com