Dear Wolter,

I received a letter from John McDonnell, Senior Solicitor for the Crown Solicitor, today.  The text is as follows:

"Dear Mr Wilson

Re: You v Deputy Commissioner of Taxation, Commonwealth of Australia and State of New South Wales - No. 349 of 2000 in the Parramatta District Court.

I am instructed to act for the third defendant in thes proceedings in which I was served with a notice of cross-claim on 17 October 2000.

The cross-claim is defective for a number of reasons.

More importantly, however, the cause of action pleaded has no basis in law. As to the tort claim, judicial officers enjoy immunity from suit. As to the argument as to the invalidity of all laws, I would note that, if your argument were correct, you would have no legal basis to cross-claim as against the thrid defendant. However, the break in sovereignty-argument has been rejected by numerous courts in this country, including the High Court in Joosse v ASIC (1998) HCA 77; (1998) ALR 260 and Helljay Investments Pty Ltd v Deputy Commissioner of Taxation (1997) HCA 569; (1999) 166 ALR 302. Needless to say, the trial by jury issue does not arise.

I advise that unless you withdraw the notice of cross-claim as against the thrid defendant within fourteen (14) days of the date hereof, I shall apply to strike-out the cross-claim and seek indemnity costs against you.

Yours faithfully,
John McDonnell.
Senior Solicitor
for Crown Solicitor

60-70 Elizabeth Street, Sydney, NSW 2000.   GPO box 25 Sydney 2001. DX 19 Sydney
F:\TEAM5\JKM\Miscellaneous\AGD010.6251.1d.doc

Wolter,  he actually phoned me last week to say he would be representing the State of New South Wales and outlined the same blurb.  My reply to him then was, "None of this has been to a jury."

Regards,

John.