----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2001 5:00 PM
Subject: Fw: UPDATE: R vs. McElheran - Vern Brewer of JUSTICE CANADA Calls on Process Server Instead of RCMP to Deliver Appeal Documents

In all fairness to those following this case matter and also to Mr. Brewer of JUSTICE CANADA, it is essential to UPDATE the matter of R vs. McElheran  as to the events that occur concerning the Crown's Appeal Process as and when things happen. Dozens of people have written letters of complaint to the Honourable Minister of Justice Anne McLellan and also to Mr. Brewer speaking out against his miss-use of our RCMP in having them perform as process servers.

Mr. Brewer of JUSTICE CANADA  has acted in a decent manner recently and should be recognized for it. (This is called unbiased and fair reporting)

BRIEF HISTORY:
Firstly, I purchased the transcripts of the March 22nd, 2001 "Fiat" (term for "let justice begin") hearing at Queen's Bench. During this hearing, I had asked Justice Lutz to deal with Mr. Brewer's right to use two Investigation members of the local RCMP Drug Squad to serve me his Notice of Appeal. The following month Mr. Brewer again used another RCMP member to serve the Arguments for his Appeal to my home. Below is the Court record discussing that issue with Justice Lutz on March 22nd, 2001 at The Court of Queen's Bench.

IN THE COURT OF QUEEN'S BENCH OF ALBERTA
JUDICIAL DISTRICT OF CALGARY

HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN
                                                                 Applicant
v.

KEVIN LYLE MCELHERAN
                                                                   Respondent
March 22nd, 2001

MR. MCELHERAN:  "Your Honour, can I request the court to deny Vern Brewer the right to use the RCMP drug squad or other to serve documents upon me. There is no reason for RCMP to take up their time serving me documents. There's process servers, there's bailiffs that can do that type of work."

THE COURT:   "I don't control what the Department of Justice does, you understand. And so I can't really accommodate you. I don't tell them what to do and how they carry out their administrative functions. Why do you have a problem with that? You have to be served with things, as you have to serve him with things.

MR. MCELHERAN:   "Yes, but I would not call on the RCMP to serve them. The RCMP are busy people especially the drug squad. There is no reason to use the drug squad or any other RCMP member in this matter to serve me papers."

THE COURT:    "Why have they been used in the past?"

MR. MCELHERAN:   "Yes, they have. They're shocked, as well as I am. These upstanding members are busy with criminal investigations to take time out of their day to serve -- phone me up and meet to serve me papers is absurd. It is an abuse of this department."

THE COURT:   "Well, as I say, Mr. McElheran, I do not control their administrative duties. Mr. Brewer can use whosoever he wishes, I suppose. So I cannot help you.

Two points of interest:
(Point #1) Just 2 days prior to this hearing, I met with Mr. Brewer's assistant and the senior counsel at the office of JUSTICE CANADA. I asked the assistant why Mr. Brewer used the Drug squad to serve me his appeal documents. Her response was that they use the RCMP in all Criminal cases to do the serving. I stated that this matter was not Criminal but was Quasi in nature and that I was not a Criminal. She then said that they used them because Mr. Brewer didn't know if he could find me.

(Point #2) After the Court hearing above, I asked Mr. Brewer outside of the Court room why he used the Drug squad to serve his documents upon me to which he said that he was not at liberty to discuss with me what JUSTICE CANADA does on the inside but that his job is to treat everyone "fairly". [Does "fair" mean "the same as everyone else" or "justly, in a right manor", or "action is based on "reasonable and probable cause" to use the Drug Squad"?]

Between the hearing of March 22nd and the service of more documents a few days ago, Mr. Brewer delivered the "bound transcript" of the Provincial Court matter for his Appeal and called upon the services of a process server from a local Process Service Agency. This man would not identify himself or state who he worked for when my wife asked him twice to do so.

I placed a call into Mr. Brewer's Office at JUSTICE CANADA and explained to his assistant as to the treatment my wife received when this man served the documents upon her.  This treatment was unacceptable as far as JUSTICE CANADA was concerned and suggested that I call this Process Agency and lodge a complaint as to the conduct of their Process Server. After receiving the name of the Process Server, his employer's name and phone number from Mr. Brewer's assistant, I made the call. The Process Agency agreed with me that the conduct of this man was not acceptable and at the very minimum he should have stated who he worked for when asked.

Mr. Brewer made the right decision by leaving the RCMP Drug Squad Investigators and other members alone which enabled them to do what they do best in trying to keep our streets safe from drugs and criminals for us all and employed the services of a process agency to do the serving of his documents.

It is still not a crime in this country to speak against the miss-use of our police force or any other department and I want to thank the dozens of people who wrote letters expressing their concerns in this matter. If we choose to say nothing...nothing happens.

Just doing my part in, "Standing on Guard for Thee."
Kevin McElheran