On Jul 1, 2010, at 5:34 AM, Steve Harris wrote:

On 2010-07-01, at 03:20, Hugh Glaser wrote:
In fact, a question I would like to ask, but suspect that noone who can
answer it is still reading this thread ( :-) ):
For those who implement RDF stores, do you have to do something special to
reject RDF that has literals as subject?

In my defence, I'm not reading this thread, but someone pointed me at it :)

Yes, and no. The engine will reject any literals in the subject position, the index can't represent that. It's a source of significant optimisations, and we would have to do a /lot/ of engineering work to allow them.

To be brief: I don't care if there are usecases for literals in the subject position. It you could rewind time 10 years I might like them in there, but we've invested millions of pounds in engineering RDF stores conforming to RDF 2004. I can't, and won't throw that work away for some relatively obscure benefits.

That is fine. Nobody mandates that your (or anyone else's) software must be able to handle all cases of RDF. But to impose an irrational limitation on a standard just because someone has spent a lot of money is a very bad way to make progress, IMO. Although, I believe that there are still people using COBOL, so you may have a point.

Pat Hayes

- Steve

--
Steve Harris, Garlik Limited
1-3 Halford Road, Richmond, TW10 6AW, UK