Hi Bernard,

On 30 nov 2010, at 09:56, Bernard Vatant wrote:
> BTW seems to me (now that you eventually led me to the OWL file) there is
> another way this ontology does not follow Linked Data best practices : It
> does not rely on any other vocabulary, although many classes and properties
> it defines could be easily find in what I call the Linked Open Vocabularies
> (FOAF, Dublin Core, BIBO, FRBR etc.)

Well, strictly speaking Metalex OWL was never intended as a Linked Data
vocabulary, but rather an ontology in the more traditional sense that happens
to use OWL. A fairly sensible approach in a pre-linked-open-government-data
world (i.e. pre mid-2009). Of course, now, I fully agree that it should have
been more interlinked with existing vocabularies. But I'm reluctant to have to
go through (and pay for) yet another lengthy CEN standardisation track ;)

> Regarding this last point I'm in the process to gather in the single dataset
> how vocabularies used in the LOD cloud rely on each other. Stay tuned,
> publication in the days to come, bandwidth permitting.

Interesting stuff.

Cheers,
Rinke

> [...]
>     <!ENTITY owl11 "http://www.w3.org/2006/12/owl11#"; >
> [...]
>      xmlns:metalex="http://www.metalex.eu/metalex/2008-05-02#";
>      xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#";
>      xmlns:owl="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#";>
>     <owl:Ontology rdf:about="">
> [...]
>
> *** Note that here you do get some RDF.
>
> Tabulator can read that.  Each term is as you explore marked by a red dot to
> indicate that it could not be looked up on the web.  Because:
> ** You do not get information about the namespace
>   xmlns:metalex="http://www.metalex.eu/metalex/2008-05-02#";
> instead of the one you originally asked about!
>
> So after all that you can see what they are getting  at and how they are
> thinking.
> But their linked data is seriously and needlessly broken.
>
> To fix it, they should just serve the ontology with 200 from
> http://www.metalex.eu/metalex/1.0
> and fix the namespace in it to be that. No conneg.
>

> *** Without Firefox, however, even with tabulator, so accepting RDF or HTML,
> is redirected to:
> http://www.cen.eu/cen/Sectors/Sectors/ISSS/CEN%20Workshop%20Agreements/Pages/MLX%20CWAs.aspx
> which is a sort of a home page about the document, with copyright stuff,
> but it is not the ontology.
>
> So they are using the same URI for two documents with very different
> information, which is architecturally bad and practically messed you up.
>
> Note that John Shedidan (Ccd) and colleagues have put the UK laws on line
> with lots of RDF -- you could sync up wit them if you haven't
>
> Moral: point tabulator at it and if it doesn't work, fix it.
> Tim
>
> PS: Their copyright
>
> "CWAs are CEN copyright. Those made available for downloading are provided on
> the condition that they may not be modified, re-distributed, sold or
> repackaged in any form without the prior consent of CEN, and are only for the
> use of the person downloading them.  For additional copyright information,
> please refer to the statements on the cover pages of the CWAs concerned."
> sounds as though if it applies to the ontology, which isn't obvious
>
> On 2010-11 -29, at 14:41, Bernard Vatant wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> According to http://www.ckan.net/tag/format-metalex there are two datasets
>> in the LOD cloud relying on metalex ontology.
>>
>> But they provide different URIs for this ontology ...
>>
>> http://www.best-project.nl/rechtspraak.ttl  says :
>> void:vocabulary <http://www.metalex.eu/schema>
>>
>> http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/67/section/6/data.rdf says :
>> xmlns:metalex="http://www.metalex.eu/metalex/2008-05-02#";
>>
>> ... and both are dead links ...
>>
>> OTOH http://www.metalex.eu/documentation/ says:
>> "The namespace of the CEN MetaLex XML Schema and OWL specification is
>> http://www.metalex.eu/metalex/1.0";
>>
>> ... which redirects to ... well ...
>>
>> Too bad because this metalex ontology looks really interesting :)

---
Dr Rinke Hoekstra

AI Department         |   Leibniz Center for Law
Faculty of Sciences   |   Faculty of Law
Vrije Universiteit    |   Universiteit van Amsterdam
De Boelelaan 1081a    |   Kloveniersburgwal 48
1081 HV Amsterdam     |   1012 CX  Amsterdam
+31-(0)20-5987752     |   +31-(0)20-5253497
r.j.hoeks...@vu.nl    |   hoeks...@uva.nl

Homepage: http://www.few.vu.nl/~hoekstra