On 6/14/13 1:44 PM, Luca Matteis wrote:
There's actually no real-world implication of having a single unique definition for Linked Data.

I agree. We just need a clear understanding of what Linked Data is about.

The Web works quite successfully, and still each one of us probably holds a different definition of it. For me it's CSS+HTML+HTTP. For others it's HTTP+HTML+JavaScript. For others it's probably just HTTP, or even something else?

It doesn't matter. The Web works, and having a single unique definition of it won't change anything.

For context, I am not expressing the opinion that we need a single definition per se., I believe we need an understanding that embraces all of the Web's core attributes. Examples that come to mind include:

1. loose coupling of technology
2. tolerance
3. dexterity
4. organic evolution
5. "just do it!" mindset -- don't ask for permission to contribute to the innovation continuum.

Demonstrations of Linked Data solving real problems (to me) has always been the key to ultimately determining how people come to understand what Linked Data actually is etc..

Sarven's post does hone into an important issue here re., lack of dog-fooding when it comes to Linked Data and the broader Semantic Web. If we don't actually use what we propose to others then ultimately our own lack of conviction will stifle the progress we seek.

Kingsley