On 5/11/15 4:22 PM, Paul Houle wrote:
I think there's the issue of the data format but also the problem that

<http://someorganization.org/namespace/something>

might represent someorganization.org <http://someorganization.org>'s viewpoint about :something if you are lucky. On the other hand you might want to know what somebody else thinks about that "thing" -- i.e. you might want to follow a dbpedia identifier to get schema.org <http://schema.org> information on it that somebodyelse.net <http://somebodyelse.net> has compiled on the dbpedia universe.

I.e. fundamentally dereferencing has to be extended to support the idea of "what does source X think about resource Y?"

That's what you get via a SPARQL Query Results URL. At the end of the day, the aforementioned URL identifies a document comprised of content that's dynamically generated from relational variables in the query body combined with solution output directives associated with select, construct, or describe query types.

There is also the need to recognize that dereferencing has created a lot of confusion.

Yes, there is still mass confusion about HTTP URI based Names :(

As you know, Names have denotation and connotation duality i.e., a Name by definition has interpretation that describes its referent. Thus, Identifying anything with an HTTP URI based name implies it is interpretable on an HTTP Network.

I suspect some people have been intimidated from using RDF because they think that having names based on URLs means that they *have* to publish everything on the web.
Yes.

As to the scope of HTTP Name interpretation (public or private), that should really boil down to resource access controls [1] that are also driven by entity relationship type semantics.

Links:

[1] http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebAccessControl -- Web Access Controls related Wiki

[2] http://www.slideshare.net/kidehen/how-virtuoso-enables-attributed-based-access-controls -- How fine-grained ACLs are implemented (using RDF) in Virtuoso .

Kingsley