On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 10:13:48 -0700, Michel_Dumontier wrote:
What if I
have a semantic web application in which I would like to retrieve more
information about this resource? Since the document is not an RDF
document with machine understandable statements about it, it seems that
my application wouldn't be able to learn anything more about
http://purl.uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345

http://purl.uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345 is linked to a machine-readable representation [http://beta.uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345.rdf] via two mechanisms: 1. there is a link-rel=alternate in the header of the web page, and 2. you can set an Accept header if you want to skip directly to that.

The main reason why I don't default to the machine-readable representation (no doubt that would be useful for people writing semweb applications) is that the large majority of resources does not have a machine readable representation, and web pages happen to be the greatest common denominator.