Doing this on an HTTP level seems like the right solution to me. Though i'm not sure what working group would then be appropriate for standardizing it...
I don't mind trying this avenue, I just fear that this is even more likely to be a dead-end. HTTP is already very complicated (it would seem more so than XHR to me) and is much more solidified and it seems unlikely that there would a be solution down that path. And I don't see how it is any more "right" for this to be done in HTTP, The user agent needs to be informed by something, and I don't see a clear distinction in why it is superior to be informed by the HTTP response rather than API/author since this doesn't really affect the actual HTTP communication protocol, but when a user agent chooses to use an (additional) HTTP communication channel. I am concerned that if all parties continually come up with really good reasons to keep deferring this to someone else, the user with hanging requests still lose. I am going to send out another proposal that will hopefully be more palatable/feasible.
Thanks,
Kris