Cameron McCormack wrote:
Hello WGs.

I’ve just committed changes to Web IDL on how it treats index and name
getters and setters.  Browers don’t agree on some specifics of how the
index and name properties on HTMLCollections are handled, so I’ve tried
to make some sensible decisions in these cases.  Comments welcome!

Here’s a summary of changes to Web IDL:

  * Removed [IndexGetter], [IndexSetter], [NamedGetter] and
    [NamedSetter].

  * Removed the custom [[Get]] behaviour on host objects.

  * Added [NumberedIndex] and [NamedIndex], which can appear on
    interfaces.  Both of these can take identifier arguments Creatable,
    Modifiable and/or Deletable, which control how the properties that
    are placed on host objects can be interacted with.  Properties for
    [NumberedIndex] are enumerable, and those for [NamedIndex] aren’t.

  * Changed the custom [[Put]] behaviour on host objects so that it
    only is there to support [PutForwards].

For details see:

  http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#NamedIndex
  http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#NumberedIndex
  http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#index-properties

It seems very unfortunate that we now have to use prose to describe which functions the getters/setters map to. Why was that part of these changes needed?

/ Jonas