On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 6:16 AM, Marcin Hanclik
<marcin.hanc...@access-company.com> wrote:
> The first step is to have the security concerns.
> The widget environment, BONDI etc. then encode them somehow (e.g. as device
> capability, feature etc.) creating an abstraction.
> In case of the browser, those concerns seem to be simply coded in the browser.
> Still the concerns remain and are handled.
> The widgets spec try to abstract them in order to give the freedom either to
> the end user, administrator, operator or any other party. Alternatively they
> could be simply hard-coded in the webruntime.  So the issue is only who is
> able to specify whether the policy is applied, the concerns are still there.

I'm skeptical that this approach will lead to a secure API for file
access.  Abstracting the problem doesn't make the security challenges
any easier.  The reason the HTML file upload control has been such a
successful secure API for reading files is because the security issues
are specifically *not* abstracted.  The entire API is designed around
the security considerations and eliciting user consent in a
easy-to-understand way.

I suspect we'll need a similarly clever API design to address the
security challenges of letting web content write to the user's file
system.

Adam