InkML is a development relevant to mobile Web.
Tablets and other input-rich devices are gaining in acceptance (and becoming easier to purchase).

InkML is one of the few specs to put forward both a stream-based and archive-oriented format.

We'll be using it to serialize input between devices, recording time, and pressure data when available.

In relation to font rendering: though standard dialects and scripts are widely supported, non-standard usage, personal usage, experimental / artistic expression are not part of the package.

That's an area where InkML will intersect with mobile rendering of linguistic data.
InkML and VoiceXML provide a standard means to transcribe language.
That's great for researchers and anthropologists.

The programmable canvas tag and audio tags, associated with the img tag and audio/video sources, provide scientists with a standard structure to render transcribed vocalizations and movements.
InkML and VoiceXML enable their transcription.

The mobile web refers to sensor-rich, portable devices; two things which computers generally aren't. Laptops are a kludge to carry, and sensor-rich devices are generally
used in scientific labs, not consumer desktops.

Pressure sensitive computing tablets have been available for years, but they did not gain wide acceptance nor support. It was recent touch-based mobile devices which introduced the web to sensory-rich computing.

-Charles