On 2011-04-10 13:30, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
But is jquery's collection a JS Array?

The object returned by the $() function isn't an array. It's a custom
object that mimics the functionality of an array...

var p = $("p.foo")
Var a = $("a");
a[0].matchesSelector(":scope>a", p)
Would it be useful, and is it possible to define the refElements
parameter to accept any object that contains a .length and indexed
properties, just like a JQuery object? i.e. Can we make this work?

var x = {}
x[0] = el1;
x[1] = el2;
x[2] = el3;
x.length = 3;

a.matchesSelector(":scope>a", x);

I reviewed WebIDL again, and I think I've started to understand the difference between sequence<T> and T[] now.

As I understand it, the algorithm to convert an ECMAScript object to an IDL sequence should work with any object that has a length property and indexed values containing Node objects. That is true for an Array of Nodes, NodeList, HTMLCollection and the above JQuery case, they can all be handled in the same way.

This seems to differ from the algorithm given for T[], which requires that the object be either an array host object or a native object, which would not handle the JQuery case. The sequence<T> type seems more generic than that as the algorithm seems to be able to support any object with a length and indexed properties.

I've updated and simplified the spec to handle the above case using the parameter sequence<Node>. I still need to update the prose to say that while the collections may contain any Node, only Element nodes are added to the list of contextual reference elements. But the following cases should all work.

1. Array of Elements

  document.querySelector(":scope>a", [el1, el2, el3]);

2. NodeList

  document.querySelector(":scope>a", el.childNodes);

3. NodeList converted to an array

  document.querySelector(":scope>a",
           Array.prototype.slice.call(el.childNodes, 0));
  // Conversion to an array is unnecessary here, but just showing that
  // it will work anyway.

4. HTMLCollection

  s.matchesSelector(":scope~a", document.images);

5. Objects with indexed properties, including JQuery

  var x = {}
  x[0] = el1;
  x[1] = el2;
  x[2] = el3;
  x.length = 3;
  document.querySelector(":scope>a", x);

  x = $(".foo, .bar");
  a.matchesSelector(":scope>a", x);

  a.matchesSelector(":scope>a", x.toArray());
  // Unnecessary converstion to array here

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/