On Sep 26, 2011, at 4:58 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbar...@mit.edu> wrote:

> On 9/26/11 7:53 PM, Charles Pritchard wrote:
>> The callback style is prevalent in the File API...
>> The enum style is also borrowed from
>> FileSystem.
>
> Those are totally different things.  One of them is much saner than the
> other; it's not clear that either one is worth emulating in other specs in
> detail.

It occurs to me that permanent is just a priority indicator. Google's
Chromebook systems have a warning in their file manager about how the archive
can be wiped out. As an app developer, I've certainly noticed that a user
-only- storing files inside of an application is taking a bigger risk than if
they stored the files on their desktop.

What's the alternative to the callback style from the proposal? It should be
async, as both requesting and checking quota may require async requests.