On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Well, the use case is to allow browsers to move to XPath2/XSLT2 at some
> point in the future, without having to maintain another engine.

Sorry about bringing up the XPath2 rathole that's now expanding into
the XSLT2 rathole.

My point was that since XPath2/XSLT2 made incompatible changes, there
isn't a smooth path for moving to XPath2/XSLT2 proper in browsers in
the future even if browser vendors felt that it was worthwhile to
expend the effort. There seems to be a potential migration path to
XPath2_compat/XSLT2_compat, though, but do the people who want
XPath2/XSLT2 want just the compat mode variants or the variants that
the relevant WG treats as the primary ones?

In any case, I think XPath2/XSLT2 have a bad investment/payoff ratio
from the browser point of view, so I think it makes sense for people
who want to use XSLT2 in browsers to license Saxon-CE (XSLT2
implemented in JavaScript) from Saxonica instead of expecting native
implementations in browsers.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@iki.fi