(Pardon the top-quoting and poor editing; working off a phone today.)

This isn't properly specced anywhere and may be impossible to implement
perfectly, but previous discussions indicated that Chrome, at least, wanted
File objects loaded from input elements to only represent access for the
file as it is when the user opened it.  That is, the File is immutable
(like a Blob), and if the underlying OS file changes (thus making the
original data no longer available), attempting to read the File would
fail.  (This was in the context of storing File in structured clone
persistent storage, like IndexedDB.)

(I don't know if this was thought to apply to FSAPI-acquired Files as well,
eg. requiring the user to request a new File from the Entry after modifying
it.  That would be annoying, but it would preserve the invariant that Blobs
are immutable, which shouldn't be sacrificed lightly.)

That would make onchanged not meaningful for File.  However, it would be
useful on Entry instead.

I have one major technical concern: monitoring files for changes isn't
free.  With only a DOM event, all instantiated Files (or Entries) would
have to monitor changes; you don't want to depend on "do something if an
event handler is registered", since that violates the principle of event
handler registration having no other side-effects.  Monitoring should be
enabled explicitly.

I also wonder whether this could be implemented everywhere, eg. on mobile
systems.