On Friday, May 25, 2012 at 4:34 PM, SULLIVAN, BRYAN L wrote:

> Marcos,
>
> Re "I thought we had stopped the whole designing for particular screen sizes,
> etc. a long time ago.", that may be the still-closely-held goal, but the
> reality is that designing for multiple screen sizes (and pixel densities) is
> still far from simple. Even with all the tools that have been developed in
> CSS and Media Queries.
>
> So if developers want to claim that they have focused their design on
> specific form factors (and presumably tested it thoroughly on them), this
> seems like a good thing as it allows them to be more certain that their apps
> won't be distributed to users of devices on which they won't work well (which
> will negatively impact the developer's reputation, use of the app, appstore
> etc), or if distributed to such users, will be clearly identified as not
> being designed for those devices.
>
> Like many of the things we wanted to do in widget manifest structures in
> BONDI and WAC, if these get pulled from the plan the only fallback is
> developer ecosystem-specific app metadata, which in the end evaporates with
> the developer ecosystems, or never achieves widespread use or
> interoperability. So the problem is not solved for developers by leaving
> these things out of standards, where there is a strong use case.

Still sounds to me like "Made for <insert everyone's favorite 90's browser
here>, and best viewed at 800x600" … and look how well that turned out. Even if
we don't focus on mobile devices, it seems like a silly requirement as I can
just adjust my browser window to whatever size I want (there is no reason to
believe I won't be able to do that on future mobile devices). I.e., screen size
and application display area are not the same thing and this metadata attribute
seems to assume so.

--
Marcos Caceres