On 26 May 2012, at 18:32, Anant Narayanan <an...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On 05/25/2012 09:25 AM, Marcos Caceres wrote:
>>

>> On Friday, May 25, 2012 at 4:34 PM, SULLIVAN, BRYAN L wrote:
>>
>>> Marcos,
>>>
>>> Re "I thought we had stopped the whole designing for particular screen
>>> sizes, etc. a long time ago.", that may be the still-closely-held goal, but
>>> the reality is that designing for multiple screen sizes (and pixel
>>> densities) is still far from simple. Even with all the tools that have been
>>> developed in CSS and Media Queries.
>>>
>>> So if developers want to claim that they have focused their design on
>>> specific form factors (and presumably tested it thoroughly on them), this
>>> seems like a good thing as it allows them to be more certain that their
>>> apps won't be distributed to users of devices on which they won't work well
>>> (which will negatively impact the developer's reputation, use of the app,
>>> appstore etc), or if distributed to such users, will be clearly identified
>>> as not being designed for those devices.
>>>
>>> Like many of the things we wanted to do in widget manifest structures in
>>> BONDI and WAC, if these get pulled from the plan the only fallback is
>>> developer ecosystem-specific app metadata, which in the end evaporates with
>>> the developer ecosystems, or never achieves widespread use or
>>> interoperability. So the problem is not solved for developers by leaving
>>> these things out of standards, where there is a strong use case.
>>>

>> Still sounds to me like "Made for<insert everyone's favorite 90's browser
>> here>, and best viewed at 800x600" … and look how well that turned out. Even
>> if we don't focus on mobile devices, it seems like a silly requirement as I
>> can just adjust my browser window to whatever size I want (there is no
>> reason to believe I won't be able to do that on future mobile devices).
>> I.e., screen size and application display area are not the same thing and
>> this metadata attribute seems to assume so.
>
> The intent for the screen_size parameters is not to let the developer enforce
> a particular screen size or resolution, but rather specify the *minimum*
> width and height required by the app. This means that on a screen below the
> specified size, the app will not function at all.

To make this more clear, maybe call this min_screen_size.

> I will also note that it is upto the app store to interpret this field
> however they'd like. If they do not want to disallow installs on devices that
> don't meet the developer-specified criteria, that's fine. However, we should
> still convey this information from the developer to the store via the
> manifest.

At install time or when I am browsing apps, how does a server know my screen
resolution? Or is this restriction imposed on by the user agent?

> It is unrealistic to assume that all app developers will make a responsive
> design for all possible screen sizes. The tools aren't great and it costs
> time and money. We added this field after we received a request from the
> developer of a popular game that only worked on desktops, but not mobile
> phones (due to size). They wanted to make sure users weren't able to install
> them in places the app wasn't designed for and get a bad impression of the
> company. I think this is really important.

I think that's fine, but as Scott pointed pointed out, user agents have a
history of allowing users to bypass these kinds of restrictions (or users hack
around them). I think this field can only really serve as a warning that the
app might not work as expected.