From: Dave Methvin <dave.meth...@gmail.com<mailto:dave.meth...@gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:18 PM
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalm...@gmail.com<mailto:jackalm...@gmail.com>>
Cc: Jatinder Mann <jm...@microsoft.com<mailto:jm...@microsoft.com>>,
"ann...@opera.com<mailto:ann...@opera.com>"
<ann...@opera.com<mailto:ann...@opera.com>>,
"public-webapps@w3.org<mailto:public-webapps@w3.org>"
<public-webapps@w3.org<mailto:public-webapps@w3.org>>, Alois Reitbauer
<alois.reitba...@compuware.com<mailto:alois.reitba...@compuware.com>>
Subject: Re: Beacon API

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Tab Atkins Jr.
I started a thread last year in WHATWG about this subject, though from
a slightly different angle:
<http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2012-May/035686.html>.

A new simple API sounds like the best solution. Adding a sufficiently limited
beacon into XHR would seem to involve a lot of special cases, since you don't
want the response, callbacks, CORS, etc. but the requests themselves would need
to stay around after the page is done.

It might be handy to have a method property to specify get/post and I'd prefer
a name like unloadRequest since it's making a request and not setting a
handler. Finally, is script-only capability sufficient or does it make sense to
also have some form of markup specifying a link to be visited when the page
unloads? </bikeshed>

addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it
to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and
then destroy it. Compuware Austria GmbH (registration number FN 91482h) is a
company registered in Vienna whose registered office is at 1120 Wien, Austria,
Am Euro Platz 2 / Geb?ude G.