I worry that overloading the ping attribute here may cause confusion and may
not be well adopted for the use case we have presented.

Let me describe some potential requirements for such an interface. We want an
asynchronous method of sending data. The interface shouldn't return a HTTP
response, as the expectation is that the user agent would be responsible for
sending this data when it could. The user agent must be able to send this data
even after the page had unloaded, potentially even attempting to re-send it if
the first attempt fails. The interface must support CORS, as one may want to
send this data to a different origin. The interface wouldn't be limited to the
unload and could be used at any time to reliably send data.

What we wanted to understand was whether it makes more sense to create a XHR
variant that does this or if it would just be less confusing to create a new
beacon API, as Alois had suggested.

Considering the requirements, especially if it is only designed to send data
and not receive, it may just make more sense to create a specific beacon API
here rather than creating a XHR invariant. I think Alois and I should come up
with a more concrete proposal and then we can better weigh the pros and cons of
the different approaches.

Thanks,
Jatinder