On 02/20/2013 08:24 AM, Reitbauer, Alois wrote:
My personal experience is different. We found that using img tags is not
that reliable. Especially in Firefox we recently saw some problems. Img
tags in general have the disadvantage that the amount of data that can
be set is rather limited. While this obviously should be kept as small
as possible, the information available via resource timing will increase
the amount of data that gets sent.

Is there a way we can integrate this into a W3C test suite to check how
different browsers behave in this case

Yes, tests for behaviour around navigation and unload should go in the HTML testsuite[1]. There are some guidelines for writing tests at [2], but they appear in need of an update to reflect the fact that we now use git[hub] rather than mercurial.

If you have any questions, please ask, either on the public-html-testsuite list, or in the #whatwg channel on Freenode or on the #testing channel on the W3C IRC server.

[1] https://github.com/w3c/html-testsuite/
[2] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/Testing/Authoring/