My issue is that the target of this link will not in general be an atomic
thing like a 'component' or a 'module'. It's a carrier for resources and
links to other resources. IMO this is one of the great strengths of this
proposal.

For this reason, when it was rel="components" (plural) there was no problem
for me.

Having said all that, I'm not particularly up in arms about this issue. The
name will bend to the object in the fullness of time. :)