On May 27, 2014, at 1:33 AM, Robin Berjon <ro...@w3.org> wrote:

> On 27/05/2014 01:47 , Ben Peters wrote:
>>> -----Original Message----- From: Robin Berjon
>>>
>>> I don't know what languages the others speak. That said, my
>>> recollection was that this was presented along the lines of "we've
>>> had regular requests to support selecting text in geometric rather
>>> than logical orders".
>>
>> I have also heard these requests from the bi-directional experts here
>> at Microsoft. A single, unbroken selection is what we're told users
>> want, and multi-selection makes this possible.
>
> Thinking about this a little bit more: I don't imagine that the Selection API
> should prescribe the UI that browsers choose to support in order to select
> bidi text, on the contrary they should be allowed to innovate, experiment,
> follow various platform conventions, etc. But if we don't support multi-range
> selection, then only one model is possible which precludes unbroken
> selections.
>
> I think that this strongly pushes in the direction of supporting multiple
> ranges.

I agree visual selection of bidirectional text is a problem worth solving but I
don't think adding a generic multi-range selection support to the degree Gecko
does is the right solution.  For starters, most of author scripts completely
ignore all but the first range, and applying editing operations to a
multi-range selection is a nightmare.

- R. Niwa