From: Ryosuke Niwa [mailto:rn...@apple.com]

> As we have repeatedly stated elsewhere in the mailing list, we support option
> 1 since authors and frameworks can trivially implement 2 or choose to set
> "prototype" without us baking the feature into the platform.

At first I was sympathetic toward option 1, but then I realized that with ES6
modules all script loading becomes async, so it would be literally impossible
to use custom elements in a .html file (unless your strategy was to wait for
element registration, XHR the .html file into a string, then do
`document.documentElement.innerHTML = theBigString`).

In other words, in an ES6 modules world, all custom elements are upgraded
elements.