> On Apr 22, 2015, at 10:16 AM, Justin Fagnani <justinfagn...@google.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 10:40 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rn...@apple.com
> <mailto:rn...@apple.com>> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 21, 2015, at 10:23 PM, Justin Fagnani <justinfagn...@google.com
> > <mailto:justinfagn...@google.com>> wrote:
> >
> > I do want the ability to redirect distributed nodes into a holes in the
> > base template, so that part is welcome to me. However, my first reaction to
> > the slot idea is that forcing users to add the content-slot attribute on
> > children significantly impairs the DOM API surface area of custom elements.
> >
> > For the single-level distribution case, how is this different from <content
> > select="[content-slot=name]"> except that content select can distribute
> > based on features of the children that might already exist, like tag names
> > or an attribute?
>
> At the conceptual level, they're equivalent.  However, we didn't find the
> extra flexibility of using CSS selectors compelling as we mentioned in our
> proposal [1].
>
> I personally would like to see more power, especially positional selectors.
> Some components would be better off selecting their first child, rather than
> requiring a class.

What are concrete use cases that require such flexibility?

> [1] See points 3 and 4 in
> https://github.com/w3c/webcomponents/wiki/Proposal-for-changes-to-manage-Shadow-DOM-content-distribution#some-issues-with-the-current-shadow-dom-spec
>
> <https://github.com/w3c/webcomponents/wiki/Proposal-for-changes-to-manage-Shadow-DOM-content-distribution#some-issues-with-the-current-shadow-dom-spec>
>
> Point 4 is interesting, because unless I'm missing something (which could
> be!) it's incorrect. You can create selectors with :not() that exclude the
> content selectors that come after in document order. I would rewrite the
> example as:
>
> <template>
>   <content select=".header"></content>
>   <content select=":not(.footer)"></content>
>   <content select=".footer"></content>
> </template>
Our point wasn't so much that it's not achievable.  With enough hackeries and
"techniques", we can.  The problem is the developer ergonomics of content
element with select attribute with common real world use cases.  For example,
the above code is a lot more verbose and less intuitive than

> <template>
>   <content slot="header"></content>
>   <content></content>
>   <content slot="footer"></content>