From: Philippe Le Hegaret [mailto:p...@w3.org]

> But I hope you realize that coming in the W3C community, working with them
> for while, and then take things away to continue the work elsewhere is
> received as not working in good faith with the W3C community. This is not a
> judgment of whether it was the right technical decision to do or not but
> rather a pure social judgment. People in W3C working groups don't expect to
> be told to go somewhere else after they contributed for a while. Now, if
> you're interested in figuring out a way to solve this, I'm sure plenty of
> folks in the W3C community, myself included, would be interested in finding a
> way.

Yeah, I agree it is socially awkward that this work on a monkeypatch spec was
started outside the standards community whose specs it was monkeypatching. That
was in fact one of the original impetuses for Anne's famous "Monkey patch"
post. [1] Given that as a starting point for this effort, this move was an
inevitable outcome---as we've already seen with <template>, the first
successful web components spec.

Setting aside the social judgement, from a technical point of view the path is
clear. So although I regret the social downsides, it's unavoidable that if we
want to as a larger community produce technically excellent specifications, we
need to be able to accept this social issue and continue with the work of
making the web platform better, without territorial concerns.

[1]: https://annevankesteren.nl/2014/02/monkey-patch