I thought the goal was to start heading to a responsible disclosure model where 
the revocation timeline is a balance of public dissemination of information 
compared to the need for certificate holders to remediate the issue, actively 
engaging the CA early instead of waiting until revocation is required.  Right 
now, there's a strong incentive not to tell the CA about compromise events 
because it starts the 24-hour window.  For non-public issues, I'd rather work 
with the customers earlier than wait to be brought in until 24 hours before the 
revocation occurs.
  
Could we balance the issue to say within 24 hours of public disclosure or 
within two weeks of receiving a certificate problem report where the CA 
confirms that one of the reasons under Section 4?  

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Sleevi [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 1:37 PM
To: Jeremy Rowley <[email protected]>
Cc: CA/Browser Forum Public Discussion List <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [cabfpub] Revocation ballot

Hi Jeremy,

I think you may have misunderstood. That is, I think that at any point the CA 
determines any of the conditions on 4.9.1.1 or 4.9.1.2 are met, they should 
remain obligated to revoke within 24 hours. That includes the full list.

I think greater time for the investigation of a certificate problem report - 
which allows for ascertaining whether or not 4.9.1.1 or
4.9.1.2 have been met - is reasonable, because as it stands, CAs are obligated 
to err on the side of revocation (and assume 4.9.1.1/4.9.1.2 will be true) 
rather than not.

I don't think it's a positive step forward, however, to suggest that a CA may 
opt to _not_ revoke, or to delay revocation beyond 24 hours, once 4.9.1.1 or 
4.9.1.2 are met. I'm particularly troubled, for example, by the suggestion that 
the impact of revocation be considered
- as that's entirely a subjective, unquantifiable, and arguably unsupportable 
interpretation in general, and it creates a perverse incentives, as the 
incentives of both the CA and the subscriber are to 'not' revoke an 
illegitimate certificate, even if it causes substantial harm to the ecosystem 
or Relying Parties.

It's unclear, however, if it was your intent to do that. My understanding is 
that the goal was to provide additional time for a CA to investigate the facts 
surrounding a Certificate Problem Report, so that they can fully determine 
whether 4.9.1.1/4.9.1.2 are met - not to make it possible for a CA to 'never' 
have to revoke a certificate (which is a natural consequence, as presently 
worded).

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 3:24 PM, Jeremy Rowley <[email protected]> 
wrote:
> Thanks Ryan - I missed that.  IMO, we should leave the cap at 1 business day 
> (or even 24 hours) for those two events.  If the subscriber is requesting 
> revocation, there's no reason to delay.
>
> I don't mind adding a two week cap for the rest of the reasons if that helps.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ryan Sleevi [mailto:[email protected]]
> Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 1:19 PM
> To: Jeremy Rowley <[email protected]>; CA/Browser Forum 
> Public Discussion List <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: [cabfpub] Revocation ballot
>
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> This seems rather problematic. I greatly appreciated DigiCert's past 
> consideration of this, which was to set the absolute upper bound at no 
> greater than two weeks.
>
> As proposed, this would effectively make 4.9.1.1 and 4.9.1.2 pointless, as it 
> leaves it fully up to CA discretion. As we've seen with the validation 
> methods' "any other method", CA discretion creates significant challenges for 
> relying parties and auditors to be assured of the integrity of the Web PKI 
> and of the technical and material factors weighing in.
>
> That is, I'm totally supportive of an approach that tries to balance
> 24 hours, but I think anything that allows for arbitrarily-determined 
> revocation, as proposed, would be a big step backwards for the security and 
> confidence in the PKI.
>
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 2:47 PM, Jeremy Rowley via Public 
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>>
>>
>> I took Ben’s previous ballot proposal for changing revocation 
>> timelines and combined it with the timelines previously proposed.
>> Basically, the timelines were established to still require CA 
>> responsiveness but balance with compromise notices that are received at 
>> weird hours or during holidays.
>>
>>
>>
>> Looking forward to your comments.
>>
>>
>>
>> Jeremy
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Public mailing list
>> [email protected]
>> https://cabforum.org/mailman/listinfo/public
>>

Attachment: smime.p7s
Description: S/MIME cryptographic signature

_______________________________________________
Public mailing list
[email protected]
https://cabforum.org/mailman/listinfo/public

Reply via email to