I do think these timeframes are a bit loose.  I wouldn’t like to see a CA 
explaining “well, we tried to contact the customer, and they haven’t replied, 
so we’re waiting the full fourteen business days” in response to being handed a 
copy of the private key.  Or if the actual domain owner appears and says “hey, 
you issued a certificate for my domain and I didn’t authorize it” and the CA 
then takes weeks to revoke.

However, I don’t think there’s so much of a problem in some specific cases:
- For item 1, the customer may voluntarily request a revocation at some time in 
the future.  The CA must still act on it within 24 hours of the requested time. 
 If the revocation is requested because of key compromise or change of 
information (and so is not voluntary, it is mandated by the Subscriber 
agreement), the following items control.
- If the private key has been compromised, and the customer is contacted within 
2 business days and accepts the risk, the subscriber may delay revocation for 
up to 1 week from the time the CA is first notified.  (This is item 3.)
- If there is a material change to the certificate information other than the 
DNS name, such as the address, I think the revocation can be delayed for up to 
10 business days from the date the information changed, to allow a smooth 
changeover, if the customer requests it.  This only applies if the previous 
information was valid but has changed.  (This is item 8 or 10.)

I think you want to word these like this.  Otherwise you can end up in a 
scenario where someone reports a key compromise to the customer, the customer 
is required by the Subscriber Agreement to report it immediately to the CA and 
request revocation, which is not a Problem Report, and it must be revoked 
within 24 hours; but if it had been reported to the CA, it could have taken up 
to 2 weeks.  And of course if the reporter sees it’s not revoked fast enough, 
the reporter can then go to the CA and say the subscriber is not following 
their Subscriber Agreement, which might have consequences far beyond one 
certificate.


For all other items, I don’t see why 24 hours is unreasonable for the actual 
revocation.  I think setting a deadline on any investigations caused by a 
problem report is also a good idea, and think 24 hours for initial response 
then 3 business days for final action is OK.

Attachment: smime.p7s
Description: S/MIME cryptographic signature

_______________________________________________
Public mailing list
[email protected]
https://cabforum.org/mailman/listinfo/public

Reply via email to