> On Jan 8, 2018, at 9:20 AM, Wayne Thayer via Public <public@cabforum.org>
> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 9:46 AM, Tim Hollebeek via Public <public@cabforum.org
> <mailto:public@cabforum.org>> wrote:
> I’m not sure there are other valid cases (in fact I suspect there are not),
> but Wayne mentioned on the validation WG call that he’s concerned that this
> change could be very disruptive if not handled carefully, and I’m sympathetic
> to that concern.  Especially since on the same call he also pointed out the
> same flaw that Dimitris did …
>

> My concern is based on a small sample size, but in reviewing CPS' I've noted
> that government CAs often rely on 3.2.2.4.1. Other than Dimitris, they are
> not participating in this discussion and may not be aware of it. That isn't a
> good excuse to delay needed fixes, but I do think that the outright
> elimination of method #1 on Mar 1st will catch a number of these CAs by
> surprise and we'll see compliance issues. The approach that Ryan and Dimitris
> are discussing helps to address my concern.

I know I’m really late to this conversation, but I think we need to split
3.2.2.4.1.  It currently has one very strong validation method combined with
two that are under discussion.

While I know it does not apply to many CAs, I think option 3 in 3.2.2.4.1 is
excellent validation when available.  If the CA is also the registry or
registrar, then they can have a very high assurance that a certificate
requester has control of the domain.  I would hate to see this method go away,
as I personally see this as the potentially the strongest proof of domain
control.

Thanks,
Peter