Doesn’t Ryan and Dimitris’ fix handle that?  Direct communication with the
registrar is easy if you are the registrar.

-Tim

From: Peter Bowen [mailto:p...@amzn.com]
Sent: Monday, January 8, 2018 9:49 PM
To: Wayne Thayer <wtha...@mozilla.com>; CA/Browser Forum Public Discussion List
<public@cabforum.org>
Cc: Tim Hollebeek <tim.holleb...@digicert.com>
Subject: Re: [cabfpub] Ballot 218: Remove validation methods #1 and #5

On Jan 8, 2018, at 9:20 AM, Wayne Thayer via Public <public@cabforum.org
<mailto:public@cabforum.org> > wrote:

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 9:46 AM, Tim Hollebeek via Public <public@cabforum.org
<mailto:public@cabforum.org> > wrote:

I’m not sure there are other valid cases (in fact I suspect there are not), but
Wayne mentioned on the validation WG call that he’s concerned that this change
could be very disruptive if not handled carefully, and I’m sympathetic to that
concern.  Especially since on the same call he also pointed out the same flaw
that Dimitris did …

My concern is based on a small sample size, but in reviewing CPS' I've noted
that government CAs often rely on 3.2.2.4.1. Other than Dimitris, they are not
participating in this discussion and may not be aware of it. That isn't a good
excuse to delay needed fixes, but I do think that the outright elimination of
method #1 on Mar 1st will catch a number of these CAs by surprise and we'll see
compliance issues. The approach that Ryan and Dimitris are discussing helps to
address my concern.

I know I’m really late to this conversation, but I think we need to split
3.2.2.4.1.  It currently has one very strong validation method combined with
two that are under discussion.

While I know it does not apply to many CAs, I think option 3 in 3.2.2.4.1 is
excellent validation when available.  If the CA is also the registry or
registrar, then they can have a very high assurance that a certificate
requester has control of the domain.  I would hate to see this method go away,
as I personally see this as the potentially the strongest proof of domain
control.

Thanks,

Peter