From: Public [mailto:public-boun...@cabforum.org] On Behalf Of Kirk Hall via
Public
Sent: Friday, February 2, 2018 8:50 PM
To: CA/Browser Forum Public Discussion List <public@cabforum.org>
Subject: [cabfpub] Attendance of Interested Parties at Working Group meetings

I previously agreed with Wayne that an all-day VWG meeting in Herndon, VA on
Tuesday, March 6 is a good idea - but we will have to push other WG meetings to
later, maybe Wednesday morning.  Does anyone object to this plan?

On the question of attendance (in person or by phone) by Interested Parties at
the special VWG meeting - I have pasted in the relevant part of Bylaw 3.2
below.  If you had asked me what I thought it meant, I would have said "IPs can
only come to the full Forum meetings at the invitation of the Chair, but they
can come to Working Group meetings (teleconferences and face-to-face meetings)
without an invitation from the Chair - it's at their option."

That's what I thought sub (a) meant by "becoming involved" in Working Groups,
whereas I believed sub (c) only applies to participation in "Forum
Teleconferences and Forum Meetings" - which I thought meant the meetings of the
full Forum itself.  As I recall, we didn't want the full Forum meetings to grow
to 100 people or more, perhaps with many more Interested Parties in attendance
than CAs and browsers - that seemed unmanageable from a logistics standpoint.
Hence the need for a little gatekeeping and specific invitations.

Here is the language from the Bylaws:

Interested Parties may participate in Forum activities in the following ways:

(a) By becoming involved in Working Groups,

(b) By posting to the Public Mail List, and

(c) By participating in those portions of Forum Teleconferences and Forum
Meetings to
which they are invited by the Forum Chair relating to their areas of special
expertise or
the subject of their Working Group participation.

In any case, I will happily "invite" any Interested Party who wants to be
involved in the VWG meeting on March 6, if necessary.

Or would it be better if we permanently adopt my interpretation above - that no
invitation from the Chair is needed for Interested Parties to attend WG
meetings at their own option?